Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Talking Man

All of a sudden we've noticed a great deal of play/pretend talk- Connor having complex conversations with toys and objects. Right now I hear him talking to his stuffed turtle who is taking a bath in the washing machine.
His vocabulary and understanding are really growing, and we all remain amazed by his memory. "If you want to remember something," my mom told me, "just tell Connor." It's true.
Like any kid his age, he asks lots of questions. We continue to explain and expose him to as many experiences as possible.
After recently completing a research project focused on young children's emergent literacy, I am hyperaware of the advice my aunt, a kindergarten teacher trained in that kind of stuff, gave this summer when I asked her to recommend learning activities for his ability level: "Just read to him."
He's always had lots of books around him, and he loves books, and we read to him often enough, but not on any kind of regular schedule. I am going to make an effort to read to him more often in the coming year.
He recognizes some words and has learned to spell a few: milk and food are two he's learned at school.
I found out yesterday that his writing skills are developing, as well. I haven't taught him, so he's either learned at school, or just picked it up somehow. Yesterday for his name he wrote some backwards "N"s and an upside-down "J" for Joe. He could also write an "E."

No comments: